Shri. Sumit Kumar
Foundation Course in Digital Film Production in Jaipur from 12 April to 31 May 2023
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, under its Centre for Open Learning (CFOL) initiative, in association with The Open Space Society (TOSS), Jaipur announces Foundation Course in Digital Film Production on TOSS campus, Jaipur.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Dates: 12 April to 31 May 2023
(2) Timings: 9 am to 6 pm (Time may vary according to the course requirements)
(3) Total No. of participants: 15 (Course will be conducted only if min. strength of 14 is reached)
(4) Age: Participants must be 18 years or above in age as on 01st April 2023 (participants born on or before 31st March 2005)
(5) Nationality: Indian
(6) Venue: The Open Space Society (TOSS), 142, Frontier Colony, Adarsh Nagar, Jaipur – 302 004
(7) Fees: Rs 1,25,000/- per participant (base fee = Rs 105932/- and GST = Rs 19,068/-)
Course fee of selected participants will be non-refundable, non-transferrable, non-adjustable, etc. under any circumstances. Course fee of all the non – selected participants will be returned within 07 – 10 days of the course commencement.
Course fee is excluding breakfast, lunch, tea/ coffee, snacks etc.
(8) Last date to apply: 25 March 2023 by 6 pm
(9) Faculty members : A S Kanal and Jayashree Kanal
(12) Medium of Instructions: English and Hindi.
(13) Selection Criteria: First – Come – First – Served basis. Selected candidates would be communicated by email. List of the selected participants will be published on FTII website.
(14) Certificates: All participants would be given participation certificate on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(15) Accommodation: Outstation participants may please note TOSS, Jaipur may facilitate for accommodation in Jaipur on additional payment. Please contact Ms Shilpi Batra, 9610082222, firstname.lastname@example.org for the same.
(16) Queries: For any queries contact following persons;
(i) At FTII, Pune, Mr. Milind Joshi, Asst. Outreach Officer – 020 - 25580085, email@example.com (ii) At TOSS, Jaipur, Ms Shilpi Batra, 9610082222, firstname.lastname@example.org
(17) Communication with participants: All communications with the participants will be carried out through email only. List of shortlisted participants will be published on FTII website and selection email will be sent to the selected participants on their registered email.
(18) How to apply:
1. Click open the link - https://www.onlinesbi.com/sbicollect/icollecthome.htmOR visit www.onlinesbi.com and further click on “SB Collect” which is at the top left, vertically 06th from left to right.
. In the Search box, search/Find FTII Fees Account and click submit.
2. In the payment category select “O1 Foundation Course in Digital Film Production”.
3. Fill-up the application form with requisite details and proceed for payment.
4. Make necessary payment of Rs 1,25,000/-
5. Once payment is done, please note "SBI collect Reference Number" (mentioned in payment confirmation receipt). This may be required for future reference.
6. If possible, digitally store the receipt of payment. This can be carried out in one of the following ways;
(i) by taking printout of receipt of payment, scan & save it
(ii) by taking screenshot of payment (if using mobile) or print screen (if using computer)
(iii) by simply taking a photograph from mobile
(iv) check your bank account to confirm whether money (course fee) has been deducted or not
(v) After a day or two, once again check to see whether money (course fee) has been refunded.
(vi) In case of refund, it is a transaction failure and if so, once again apply for the course afresh.
7. No document/ certificate related to educational qualification, age etc. is to be attached. Participants’ self – declaration in the application form is sufficient.
8. Terms & conditions: By agreeing to the terms & conditions in the application form, participants are confirming that they have read & understood the website advt. They are eligible to apply and fulfil all the requirements as stated in the advt. Also, it is presumed that participants will be staying and or attending the course at their own risk & cost and will not be held responsible for anything or matter of what-so-ever nature. Further, participants agree that decision of Director, FTII regarding admission to the course and its conduction in all respect will be final.
(19) About Course Director: A S Kanal
• Diploma in Cinema (1969-72) in Motion Picture Photography from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
• MA in Educational Communication
• Full-bright Scholarship in Communication Technology 1990-91
• AIBD course in Lighting for Television
• Cinematographer for a number of feature films, short films, ad films, documentaries and television series / programs (for directors like Sai Paranjpye, Amal Allana, Kailash Surendranath, Vishal Bhandari, Vinod Ganatra, Ravi Guptan, Jayashree Kanal, Jerry Pinto, G.S.Chani etc.)
• Executive Producer and Cinematographer for two feature films made for Children’s Film Society, India
• Produce & Direct social massage films( drama & documentary), corporate films
• Established `Vikshi Institute of Media Studies' in 1995. Conducts short courses in Cinematography (Film as well as Digital), Digital Film Production, and Editing. Organize and conduct advance workshops on Motion Picture Photography and Arri Alexa. So far we have conducted 44+ courses in electronic cinematography, 25+ courses in digital film production, 17+ courses in editing. 6+ workshops in motion picture/ digital cinema photography.
• Taught Cinematography & Television Production at FTII from 1980 - 1995. Now, visiting faculty at a number of institutes
• Edited & published a book `Cinematographer's Handbook : Film & Video' (2nd edition in 2008)
• Initiated, Founder Editor Technical Journal `Lensight' at the FTII and edited it from 1991 – 1995
• Have developed curricula for a proposed Master level course in Digital Cinema. EXECUTIVE BRIEF ready.
• Contributed to syllabus / curriculum for Cinema inputs for a number of universities / institutes teaching Video Production
• Member Board of Studies –State University of Performing and Visual Arts Haryana
• Jury member for 59th National Film Awards
• For ICE Short Film Festival
• Jury member Indian Panorama India International Film Festival 2015
Honored by Sri Lanka Foundation Digital Film Academy for contribution to the field of film
Jayashree Kanal : Film Maker, Media Teacher, Curriculum Designer
Former member of Academic Council of FTII
collaboration with AIBD, Malaysia.
Professional Experience :
I. Media Teacher & Curriculum Designer
II. Making Film & Television Programs :
a, Two Feature films for Children’s Film Society, India (CFSI) :-
b. Written- Produced- Directed Television Programs in drama and documentary formats for Television Program Research & Prototype Production Unit - a UNESCO & FTII project. The aim was to explore ways of community development through television programs.
Script-Direction-Editing for short films for different organisations
IV. Jury member at various film / theatre competitions including-
i) National Film Awards (Feature films), ii) Indian Panorama (Feature films)
(20) Course Contents: Supported by theoretical inputs, number of practical exercises (about 12-15 -writing, audio recording, acting, pre-preproduction planning, shooting, editing etc.) and one to one discussion will equip the participants to make short, independent films.
By joining this course, one is not just learning the creative and technical aspects of film making but also the managerial. Being part of this online course and given the present conditions, participants will have to organize members of shooting team. Not just that, they may have to train these team members for positions like actors, assistant director, sound person, production manager.
Course-end project: Coordinated 10 minutes film by each participant.
01. How films are made (T)
02. Scene, shot, sequence. Basic image sizes (T/P)
03. Visual Composition (T/P)
04. Camera angles (T/P)
05. Camera movements (T/P)
06. Lenses (T/P)
07. Lighting (T/P)
08. Editing Process (T/P)
09. Continuity (T/P) - slate and continuity sheet
10. Directional continuity and Floor Plan (T/P)
11. Dialogue pick-up on location (T/P)
12. Scripting (T/P)
13. Directing Actors (T/P)
14. Director at work, Mise-en-scene (T/P)
15. Introduction to Sound Design (T/P)
16. Non-fiction films (T/P)
17. Script presentations & consultations for independent films
18. Final project
19. Work shop in Interview Techniques
20. Workshop in song picturization